Wednesday 30 January 2013

Import Permit for Pets to Malaysia

After staying for 10 years in Singapore, its time to move. The next destination is Malaysia.

One of the items that we have on our minds is....how to bring our lovely Chihuahua along with us to Malaysia? A search in Google revealed similar bloggers who have done so from US and Singapore.

We thronged through many blogs, websites to find out the process. Perhaps in this short blog, I can share the simple steps and even provide my assistance (Going to the DVS office to apply for the import permit in Malaysia) to anyone who needs help.

Steps:

1) Get ready your pet's vaccination certification in (the country of export) which is Singapore.
2) Get ready your pet's rabies vaccination certificate in Singapore
3) Go to the Department of Veterinary Services in Malaysia to apply for the IMPORT PERMIT. One thing to note, the permit is valid for 30 days.....so please time your departure.
i) supply your name in your IC or Passport
ii) supply your address in Malaysia
iii) provide the date of import for your pet

See picture below.

4) In the country of export i.e.Singapore, apply for the EXPORT permit. You do this with AVA in Singapore. This can be done online for $50 dollars using your Singpass.

5) Apply for a certified veterinary health certificate for pet from the government veterinarian of the origin country. In Singapore, I went to the AVA. This must be done within 7 days of export.
i) You have to visit the VET.
ii) Then apply online using your Singpass at AVA website.
iii) You must make a trip to AVA to show them the original documents.
iv) 2 days later, go to AVA and get the "original" certified veterinary health certificate from AVA. This is a watermarked document. It takes 2 days to process.

6) With all your documentation, proceed to Malaysia....we decided to drive to using the TUAS checkpoint.

All in all, its not that difficult. I find that the troublesome part was going to Malaysia to get the import permit myself. This is where I can offer my services. If you need someone in Malaysia to help you get the import permit and courier it to you. I can offer my "runner" services. Just drop me an email : heartlanderdiy@gmail.com

After going thru this process, I would appreciate if someone had offered such services online .....I got a quote from a pet importer. It was SGD$1280 to import my pet to Malaysia from Singapore.

Our lovely Chihuahua Chloe....



No comments:

Post a Comment