Friday 3 August 2012

Why does my electricity keep tripping?

It has been happening occasionally.

Halfway through dinner, no electricity. Middle of the night, no electricity.
Halfway cooking, no electricity.

I was angry and asked Jesus for help. Should I shift to another place? What can it be? The wiring in my home was re wired 3 years ago. Everything is new. Why does it happen after 3 years?

Later that evening, I was searching the internet and came across a forum. It seemed that there was someone who had the same problem as me.

In the forum, he mentioned that he changed the MCB for the water heater from 16amp to 20amp and apparently it sort of solved the frequent tripping His electrician apparently installed a 16amp MCB for the water heater.

After reading the forum, when I checked my MCB, I also found out that the MCB for my aircon was 16amp. My aircon was a system 4 and from what I recall, the trip occurs when I am using the aircon.

To cut the long story short, I bought a new 20amp MCB the next day. The best part of it was it cost me only $3.30.


The shop assistant was very helpful when he heard I was going to change the MCB myself and advising me to I ensure the main electricity is shut off.


The Job
The job was relatively simple. Remove the old MCB and replace with a new MCB.

But the problem was the metal bar that kept all the MCBs together. I think I had to unscrew about 10 screws under all 10 MCBs just to remove the metal bar.

By the time the installation was over, my palms were tired and sore from twisting the screwdriver. Also there was no fan as there was no electricity. Ha ha. My shirt was soaking wet.

I understand how an electrician feels now and why we pay them so much for their work. It's working under such conditions everyday for them. For me, it's only 20 minutes and I am already feeling hot and sweaty.

Thank God for leading me to read that forum. Everything is running in tip top condition now. There is no electricity trip thus far and I say that there will not be anymore electricity trips in future. Amen!

The old 16amp MCB




No comments:

Post a Comment